A detailed brief and proposal was developed with the client and Lewisham planners and conservation to extend an existing tea and coffee factory built in the late 1940’s to create a landmark building that would act as a catalyst for the regeneration of Brockley Cross. After consulting with local action groups a mixed use scheme of commercial and residential space was proposed. After complex negotiations with the planners planning permission was won. Four commercial units at ground floor were proposed to provide pedestrian interest and activity at ground floor level with thirteen residential units above. A negotiation was initiated with the council and local groups, as part of the section 106 Agreement, to let the largest unit rent free to the council for two years as a gallery to encourage local artists. This benefited all parties, guaranteeing an occupier for the developer and potential clients for the proposed Café in the corner commercial unit and giving an active space to the local community. The existing post war fletton brick building has been recycled and extended with a contrasting, floating cantilevered element clad in patinated copper that presents itself as a point of reference to the passing pedestrians, cars, buses, trains and buses. The cantilevered element interlocks with a cedar clad shingle element above, set back from the street. The patinated copper and cedar shingle cladding refer to the tree lined horizons of Brockley and complement the leafy horizon of the spring and summer and woody horizon of the autumn and winter. The internal arrangements of the flats are designed to be open plan, celebrating the industrial space and opening to the leafy views of Brockley on the upper floors. Each flat has external balcony or terrace and all residents can enjoy the view from a large shared terrace on the top floor.